Sunday, January 29, 2012

Making Baby Food

As I was making some baby food for Isaac this afternoon, I thought it would be fun to capture it in pictures and share with you! I make most of Isaac's baby food. I will buy those squeezable baby food packs that he can feed himself when we are out, but most of the time he eats what I make. I have found that it saves us a bunch of money when I make his food!

I tried to make baby food for Michael when he was younger, but I talked myself into thinking that it was a huge inconvenience. This time around, I think just the opposite! I will spend a little time stocking up on our baby food and then we are good for the week!

I got this recipe from Erin at The Healthy Branscoms who got it from Wholesome Baby Food (great resource!!). I also have a book that I use for other foods called Blender Baby Food. I usually boil the veggies, but I like to bake squash and sweet potatoes. You could boil them as well... I just chose to bake this time!

Start with a squash of your choice... I chose an acorn squash because my mother in law gave one to me! :)

Cut it in half. You could scoop the seeds out now, but I chose to scoop after they were cooked. They came out easy-peasy!

Place in a dish with the faces down. Do you call those faces? Meat? Whatever... Put the yellow side down. Put in just enough water to cover the bottom - about 1/2 inch deep.
Now bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. It could probably take longer if your squash is bigger, but 45 minutes was plenty for this one!

Then I scooped out the seeds and scooped the squash into my handy dandy Magic Bullet cup. You could most definitely use a regular blender. It was actually soft enough where I could smash it with a fork, but I was having a lazy day. Didn't want to do any smashing.

And then puree.....

 Then I transferred it into my cute little baby food containers that I got on clearance at CVS! :) If I know Isaac will be eating them in the next couple of days, I put them in the fridge. Otherwise we keep them in the freezer.

I also label the tops of my containers with a dry erase marker so I know what's inside. I guess it doesn't really matter since Isaac will eat whatever I give him. But i just feel all organized that way....

And there you have it folks! Homemade baby squash! It's really easy to make, baby loves it,  it saves us money, and there's no preservatives in it! Win!

1 comment:

John and Kay said...

That looks really good before and after the magic bullet!