Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago....

I'm remembering September 11, 2001.
My roommate Julie and I were freshmen in college at NGCSU. We were getting ready for our 9:00 English Lit class that we had together. Our friend from the dorm floor above us called to tell us that there had just been a terrible accident in which a plane had crashed into a World Trade Center building. We turned on the TV and watched as smoke was billowing out of the tower. Not but a few minutes later, we watched as the second plane crashed. Our mouths dropped and our hearts broke as we knew that it was no accident.

We then had to go to class where people still didn't know about the attacks. There was no English Lit that day... just watching TV. We watched in silence as the towers came falling down and as people were trying to outrun smoke in the streets.

I called my dad and mom and my grandmother to let them know that I loved them. I remember my grandmother being so worried. She compared this to Pearl Harbor - she was probably my same age when that happened. It was a time to put a lot of things into perspective because we didn't know what was happening. It's a scary feeling knowing your country is being attacked. I was in Dahlonega, GA. I can't imagine the fear in New York and Washington D.C....

I attended a military college and I remember the anxiousness that spread across the campus as men and women knew they were going to fight soon. I knew many people that left our school over the next few weeks and years to fight for our country. I am so thankful for them, their service, and their sacrifice. It's not just them either, it's the men and women who have gone before them and the men and women who are still there today! Such a heroic role to play!

Sam and I were watching a documentary last night on the History channel and I was just in awe. I still can't believe that September 11, 2001 was a real day. It seems like a movie. It was heartbreaking to watch wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, and family members talk about their loved ones that they lost that day. So so so sad.

I'm remembering how united we were as a country. I'm remembering that day.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

It's so strange to think that it was on the history channel, since it feels like just a few weeks ago that this happened. I will never forget.