Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Name...

"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."
Proverbs 22:1

We have decided on a name for our baby boy.
His name is
Isaac Scott

The story leading up to his name is such a God story. Isaac was always the name we had in mind for our second boy. Sam loved the name so much and I just simply agreed to give that name to our boy. However, when the time came to choose names for a *possible* boy and girl, I threw Isaac out the window. One of my friends from college chose the exact same first/middle name combination and I wanted to be different. I was never super crazy about it and I talked Sam into choosing another name.

We knew Scott was going to be the middle name because that's Sam's father's name. It's important to us to incorporate family names in our boys (Michael is my father's name). We also knew we wanted a biblical first name. So, I wrote out probably 10 names that I liked and Sam didn't like ANY...back to the drawing board.

We compromised on the name David... David Scott. We even told our families the name like it was official. We thought it was official. I acted happy about it, but I really never felt a peace about it. I never felt like that was our boy's name, but I never told Sam.

Two nights ago, I was feeling really uneasy about Baby Boy's name. I just knew that God had not chosen the name "David" for him. I prayed about it and asked God to show me a different name for our boy. I actually gave God a deadline....ha! I prayed that he would show me the name THAT NIGHT so that I could talk to Sam about it. I know God doesn't work with deadlines, but I was praying for an answer soon because we had already told people a different name. PHEW! Why is naming your child such a stressful event?

Anywho... That night I dreamt our child's name was Isaac. The name I didn't choose. The name I made my husband forget. The name our best friends chose for their *possible* little boy. I woke up at 6:00 wide awake - very unusual for me - because I had gotten confirmation from God just like I had prayed. I took the next hour and a half and prayed over my family. God is so good in answering prayers.

I dreaded telling Sam that my pregnant brain had changed her mind. However, he was so receptive and LOVED that God had told me a name....especially the name God had given him years ago. I have no doubt that God named our child!

So, Isaac Scott he will be. It's official. I'm going to monogram some onesies this week!

Isaac means "laughter". God made Sarah laugh when she became pregnant in her old age with her long awaited son and he has made me laugh by being so faithful. Why did I ever think anything different?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I love it, and I'm so excited that you're having another boy. Blessings are pouring out!

Paint on the Canvas said...

Such a cool story. God is indeed faithful. Look forward to meeting this sweet joy.

Sue said...

Jill, love it, love it, love it! Praise God for giving you direction.....I so look forward to seeing pics as time goes on! Love and miss you guys much!

idnar82 said...

I love the name! Its beautiful!!! Great story too :-)

Lane Moore said...

I love that you prayed over your family! God will so bless you for your faithfulness to Him! Love this name!

Julie said...

Aww I love it Jill!! Thank you for writing this...it's so sweet to hear about you and the Lord's sweet relationship with eachother! I'm encouraged! Love you so much and I can not WAIT to meet sweet Isaac!