Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Family Reunion

The 2nd weekend in June has always been set aside for the McGarity family reunion. My grandma was one of 14 children and we have been gathering in their honor since my dad was a little boy. Although there is only one living McGarity child left - my Great Aunt Lucille - the descendants still gather each year. 

My grandma's name was Eufaula McGarity. She passed away 17 years ago, but I still remember the times we spent at their house almost every weekend when I was younger. She and Pop would always have a candy jar full of York Peppermint Patties. The house was filled with the smell of fresh buttermilk biscuits, fried chicken, and peach cobbler (which I used to call "clobber"). On the nights when I would spend the night, Grandma would always have me read the Lord's Prayer and help me to memorize it....which I did! We would play outside in their huge backyard and go greet the cows that used to live in the pasture behind her house. Sometimes Pop would get out his shotguns and practice shooting with my dad. My brother loved watching them and developed a love for hunting because of it.

It's so nice to get together and celebrate new life and remember those that have left this earth. I know Grandma and Pop would be proud of their great grandson! Michael will grow up knowing their memories and he'll enjoy going to the family reunion each year and continuing the tradition!

Michael's nametag said "Michael - Eufaula's great grandson"

Michael and G-Daddy (my dad) going for a stroll


Kennedy enjoyed swinging on the swings...something my brother and I did when we were her age!

Kennedy and Michael

Classic!! Enjoying his first Coca-Cola!! 
(Note: it was empty...no sugary syrup entered his body!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how sweet is he! and just admit it - you let him chug that coke before you took the picture! Hope you guys are great!

Anonymous said...

He is so so adorable! Michelle can you believe you will have a little guy like this before you know it!:)

Alison said...

That is awesome that you still get together like that. We have a huge family around here, but I hardly ever go to the reunions anymore. He is so big walking around like that!